Tuesday, August 19, 2008

books are like crack to me


    i have an addiction to books.  they truly are like crack to me.  when i am in the middle of a book, it is all i can think about.  while i am doing other things (working, taking care of the kids, etc) all i can think about is when i can squeeze in my next fix.  i will go without food and sleep to cram in a few more chapters.  if i'm driving somewhere, i take the book with me so i can read a sentence while sitting at a stoplight.  i am forever toting around several books at a time, you know... just in case (i like to have options).  i dream of having library in my home with walls covered in books.  i think my body physically needs books around in order for me to survive.
    i inherited my love of books and reading from my parents.  they were good role models and i have many memories of them reading.  my mom was constantly taking me to the library and we always would leave with way more books than what we could read in the few weeks time we were allotted.  my dad was always willing to get me whatever books piqued my interest.  i even have a memory of my dad trying to read a book while he was driving (dangerous, i know, but a fond memory never-the-less).  
     it has been hard to get much reading done in the past two years (since jagger was born).  what little time or energy i had was devoted elsewhere and the few books that i did read were mostly parenting and baby books.  i have finally broken free of that rut and in the past month and a half, i have read 9 books.  i just started no. 10 today, and it feels so good.  i love getting lost in a story.  it's like a watching movie in my head.  i didn't realize how much i missed it.
     i am a fiction reader.  i have in the last few years really enjoyed reading young adult fiction (harry potter series, twilight series), and now it's generally the first section i look to when i need a new book.  can i share a secret with you?  i'm a bit of a book snob.  they say never judge a book by it's cover, but i totally do.  a cover has to catch my eye in order for me to even pick up the book.  it's terrible i know, and i'm trying to get past it, but it is a hard habit to break!
     i really want to foster a love of reading in my boys.  i look forward to taking them to the library to get their library cards.  i look forward to reading stories aloud on long car trips.  i look forward to all of us gathered together in bed to read a chapter before going to sleep.  i look forward to them telling me about the stories they are reading.  i just can't wait :)  



psst...terry....I need to borrow the last book of the dragon fire series!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Crack was bound to make it on your blog sometime since it seems to be the word of the day (Everyday) at work! Nice blog- I feel like I've learned so much more about you just by reading it:)

Anonymous said...

PastorDad

Oh... The incredible joy of "Pg1, Chapter 1"

Kate, Mom & I all three confess to: Going without sleep, book in the car, sneaking away to read & thinking about it all the time.

Mom & I have a rule: If we're in the last 50 pages, no one is allowed to speak to us.

Oh... the sense of loss as I turn the last page... it's like loosing friends or having to move away from people & places that you aren't ready to leave.

Sad, but worth it.

Anonymous said...

I love a good book!!!!!!! I make any excuse to read one..... even to the point of being late to work cuz of it. How sad! I'm in the middle of a series now (ODD Thomas) that I really had to walk away from to go on vacation or I would talk to no one.... PS..... Kristen, the book has been next to the door ready to give to you:)
Mom Blair

Anonymous said...

It truly is an inherited addiction..I inherited it from my mom and now grandaughter Ali loves books...what a great addiction to have!!!

MOM

Anonymous said...

I remember having to put my books down when children came into our lives. I loved reading to my son & daughter, but Dr. Seuss and See Dick...See Dick run just didn't do it for me. I started riding my bike with Nick in his seat to the library downtown (when he was only 6 mos old)to check out books on tape. This was in 1988 and I have continued to have a walkman, cd player and now Ipod "hooked" to me at all times. I highly recommend it for those who don't have time to "sit and soak" with a book. It makes laundry, cooking and cleaning alot more enjoyable! Just make sure you leave one ear bud out to hear the babies if they're in trouble :->
Debbie in Savannah
(one of Kate's biggest fans)